Strawberries and Lime Cream
Korey Kealey, Foodland Ontario
Published Friday, June 30, 2017 12:46PM EDT
Last Updated Friday, June 30, 2017 1:44PM EDT
What better way to celebrate strawberries than serving them with this tangy, silken sauce?
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 5 to 8 minutes
Makes 1 cup (250 mL), Serves 4 - 6
- 1 cup (250 mL) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) fresh lime juice (3 to 4 limes)
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) grated lime peel
- 2 Ontario Eggs
- 1 cup (250 mL) drained yogurt* or sour cream
- 4 cups (1 L) Ontario Strawberries, washed
In glass or stainless steel saucepan, whisk together sugar, lime juice, peel and eggs. Cook over medium heat, whisking frequently to prevent curdling, for 5 to 8 minutes or until thickened and clear. (Sauce will continue to thicken on cooling.) Cool. Recipe can be prepared in advance to this point and refrigerated for up to 4 days or frozen for up to 2 months. Defrost in the refrigerator. To serve, fold in yogurt or sour cream. Use as dip or sauce for strawberries.
1 Serving (When recipe serves 6 and uses 1% drained yogurt):
PROTEIN: 7 grams
FAT: 4 grams
CARBOHYDRATE: 50 grams
* To drain yogurt, place in layered cheesecloth over bowl for 2 hours.