Spicy Coconut Squash Soup
Published Tuesday, October 25, 2016 11:54AM EDT
Last Updated Tuesday, October 25, 2016 1:31PM EDT
Ready In: 37 minutes
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 27 minutes
- 1 medium white onion, diced (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 stalk celery, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 4 cups peeled, cubed butternut squash (about 2 lbs)
- 3 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (355 mL) light coconut milk
- 6 grape tomatoes, diced to garnish, optional
- Cilantro Cashew Crème
In large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat; sauté onions, celery and jalapeno for 5 minutes or until onion is softened.
Stir in cayenne pepper and squash, sauté 2 minutes or until squash is coated with cayenne pepper.
Add broth and coconut milk; bring to boil, reduce to simmer for 20 minutes or until squash is fork tender.
Remove from heat; puree using hand immersion blender or working in batches with your blender or food processor.
Serve immediately; garnish with 1 tbsp (15 mL) Cilantro Cashew Crème (see below) and 2 tsp of diced tomatoes.
Cilantro Cashew Crème
Prepare while soup is simmering.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Makes: 1/3 cup
- 3 tbsp cashews
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp water
- 1/2 cup loosely packed cilantro leaves
- Sea salt, to taste
Using a small blender or food processor purée cashews and garlic; add water and puree for 30 seconds or until almost smooth. Add cilantro; purée 1 minute or until well-blended and bright green. Season to taste, with sea salt.
Tip: Soak cashews in water for 1 hour before pureeing for a creamier, smoother texture!
www.kitchenkonnected.com for Ottawa At Home Magazine