Scalloped Potatoes with Smoked Gouda
OTTAWA -- This classic dish is perfect for your next dinner party – layers of potatoes, onion, cheese and fresh herbs, baked until tender. Comfort and elegance all in one dish.
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Baking Time: 90 minutes
Serves 8 to 10
- 2 cups (500 mL) shredded smoked Ontario Gouda Cheese
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) grated Parmesan Reggiano Cheese
- 2 large Ontario Yellow Fleshed Potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 large Ontario Onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) finely chopped fresh Ontario Thyme Leaves
- 1 tsp (5 mL) finely chopped fresh Ontario Rosemary Leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 large Ontario Sweet Potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 cups (750 mL) 35% Ontario Whipping Cream
In small bowl, combine cheeses and mix well; set aside.
In greased 13- x 9-inch (3 L) baking dish, arrange half of the yellow fleshed potatoes. Top with 1/4 each of the onions, cheese and herbs. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Repeat layering alternating between yellow fleshed and sweet potatoes 3 times. Scatter with remaining sweet potatoes and cheese. Pour enough cream over potatoes, stopping just below the rim. The cream should just barely cover the potatoes. Cover with foil; bake in 400°F (200°C) oven for 60 minutes. Remove foil; continue to bake for about 30 minutes or until the top has browned and potatoes are tender.
1 Serving (When recipes serves 10):
PROTEIN: 14 grams
FAT: 35 grams
CARBOHYDRATE: 25 grams
FIBRE: 3 grams
SODIUM: 440 mg