Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Soup
Published Tuesday, May 16, 2017 11:28AM EDT
Last Updated Tuesday, May 16, 2017 5:20PM EDT
Although the cooking and cooling time may seem long, this soup is a cinch to make. Roasting intensifies the sweet pepper and tomato flavours and creates a wonderful aroma during cooking. It’s delicious served hot, at room temperature or even chilled.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Baking Time: 1-1/2 hours
- 3 large Ontario Greenhouse Sweet Red Peppers
- 3 large Ontario Greenhouse Tomatoes
- 5 large cloves Ontario Garlic
- 1 large Ontario Onion, cut in thick wedges
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) olive oil
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt, dried thyme, rosemary and basil
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper
- 3 cups (750 mL) chicken stock
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) balsamic vinegar
- Sour cream and fresh herb sprigs (optional)
Quarter and seed red peppers; core and cut tomatoes in half lengthwise.
Place peppers and tomatoes, cut side up, on large foil-lined baking sheet; add garlic and onion.
Mix oil with salt, thyme, rosemary, basil and pepper; brush over vegetables.
Roast on bottom shelf of 450F (230C) oven for 50 to 60 minutes or until tender and slightly charred.
Let cool for about 30 minutes or until easy to handle.
Slip skins off tomatoes.
In batches in blender or food processor, purée vegetables with any juices and some of the stock until smooth.
Return to saucepan; add vinegar and any remaining stock.
Serve at room temperature or heat until hot.
Serve garnished with swirl of sour cream and sprig of fresh herb if desired.
PROTEIN: 3 grams
FAT: 5 grams
CARBOHYDRATES: 13 grams