Ottawa News | Local Breaking | CTV News Ottawa
Potato Soup with Cheddar Croutons
Published Thursday, February 2, 2017 1:10PM EST Last Updated Thursday, February 2, 2017 1:32PM EST
This easy and delicious soup is great to make-ahead, as it gets even better with time. If packing for work, keep the croutons separate.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
Serves 6 to 8
- 1-1/2 tbsp (22 mL) butter
- 4 cups (1 L) cubed peeled Ontario Yellow Fleshed Potatoes (about 3 large)
- 2 Ontario Carrots, chopped
- 1 large Ontario Onion, chopped
- 4 cups (1 L) water
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper
- 1 cup (250 mL) Ontario Milk
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) chopped fresh Ontario Dill
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp (10 mL) butter, at room temperature
- 4 slices whole wheat bread
- 4 slices Ontario Cheddar Cheese (4 oz/125 g)
In large pot, melt butter over medium heat. Add potatoes, carrots and onion; cook covered for 8 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in water, salt and pepper, scraping up any bits from the bottom; cover and bring to boil over high heat. Reduce to medium-low and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes.
Croutons: Meanwhile, heat large skillet over medium heat. Spread butter on one side of each bread slice; place 2 slices buttered side down in skillet. Top with cheese to fit bread and remaining slices of bread, butter side up. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes per side or until bread is toasted. Cool slightly and cut into cubes.
In blender, purée soup in batches until smooth; return to pot. Stir in milk. Heat over medium heat just until steaming. Stir in dill and vinegar. Ladle soup into bowls and top with croutons.
1 Serving (When recipes serves 6):
PROTEIN: 8 grams
FAT: 9 grams
CARBOHYDRATE: 25 grams
FIBRE: 3 grams
SODIUM: 250 mg