Mediterranean Onion Soup
This lightened up twist on classic "French Onion Soup" gets its deep, rich flavour from slowly cooking the onions while reducing the amount of fat typically used. Skip the bread and top with crumbled feta cheese and finely chopped parsley. Serve with a green salad, grilled pita bread and hummus.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Serves 4 to 6 (Makes 8 cups/2 L)
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) olive oil
- 6 Ontario Onions, halved and sliced lengthwise (about 6 cups/1.5 L)
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1-1/2 tbsp (20 mL) Ontario Maple Syrup
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 cups (2 L) no salt added beef broth
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) crumbled Ontario Feta Cheese
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) finely chopped fresh Ontario Parsley
In large deep skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook for 3 minutes, stirring often. Add thyme and salt; reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden and softened, about 10 minutes. Stir in maple syrup until onions are well coated. Stir in flour until onions are well coated, about 1 minute.
Increase heat to high; add bay leaf and broth and bring to boil. Stir and reduce heat to medium-low; simmer until soup is slightly thickened, about 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, in small bowl, combine cheese and parsley; set aside.
To serve, ladle soup into bowls and sprinkle with cheese mixture. Serve immediately.
1 Serving (When recipe serves 6):
PROTEIN: 5 grams
FAT: 6 grams
CARBOHYDRATE: 21 grams
FIBRE: 2 grams
SODIUM: 350 mg