Ottawa News | Local Breaking | CTV News Ottawa
Whether you enjoy this veggie packed frittata for breakfast, brunch or dinner, it is sure to satisfy. For a meal on the go, pack a wedge into a whole wheat pita lined with Ontario lettuce and drizzle with salsa.
Baking Time: 25 minutes
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 Ontario Leek, white and pale green parts only, thinly sliced crosswise
- 2 cups (500 mL) small Ontario Broccoli or Cauliflower florets
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) each diced Ontario Zucchini and Ontario Sweet Red Pepper
- 8 Ontario Eggs
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) shredded Ontario Cheddar or Swiss Cheese
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) diced Ontario Ham
- 2 tsp (10 mL) grainy Dijon mustard
- 3 dashes hot sauce
- Salt and pepper
Heat 10-inch (25 cm) cast-iron or nonstick ovenproof skillet on medium-high heat. Add oil and swirl to coat. Add leek, broccoli, zucchini and red pepper. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 6 minutes or until broccoli is crisp-tender.
Meanwhile, in large bowl, whisk together eggs, cheese, ham, mustard, hot sauce, 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt and 1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper. Add to skillet and tilt to distribute evenly; gently press down on vegetables to cover with egg mixture. Cook for 1 minute or until edge is slightly set.
Transfer skillet to 350°F (180°C) oven; bake for 25 minutes or until puffed, and eggs are set. Let stand for 5 minutes; cut into wedges.
Tips: No leeks? Use 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped Ontario Onions or Shallots.
For variety, use a combination of broccoli and cauliflower florets.
Nutrients per serving
1 Serving (When Recipe Serves 6):
- Protein: 16 grams
- Fat: 15 grams
- Carbohydrate: 5 grams
- Calories: 220
- Fibre: 1 gram
- Sodium: 420 mg