Ottawa News | Local Breaking | CTV News Ottawa
Delicious and affordable family comfort meals
Never underestimate the power of home-cooked and reliable meals like lasagna! Players miss special simple meals when on the road. There are many reasons to visit home, and mom's lasagna makes it feel like you never left—just ask The captain Yzerman!
- 1 package ( 9 oz / 255 g ) lasagna noodles, cooked
- 1½ lb ( 750 g ) lean ground beef
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL ) dried basil
- 1 tsp ( 5 mL ) sea salt
- 2 cans ( 5.5 fl oz /156 mL ) tomato paste
- ½ cup (125 mL ) water
- 11⁄3 cups ( 325 mL ) crushed tomatoes, with juices
- 3 cups ( 750 mL ) creamed cottage cheese
- ½ cup (125 mL ) freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tbsp ( 30 mL ) dried parsley flakes
- ½ tsp ( 2.5 mL ) freshly ground black pepper
- 7 oz ( 210 g ) sliced mozzarella cheese
1. Make meat sauce: In a large frying pan or saucepan, over medium-high heat, brown beef. Spoon off fat. Add garlic, basil, salt, tomato paste, water, and crushed tomatoes. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until some of the liquid has evaporated, stirring occasionally.
2. Make cheese filling: Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine cottage cheese, Parmesan, eggs, parsley, and pepper.
3. Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C ). Lightly grease a 13- by 9-inch ( 33 by 23 cm ) glass baking dish or lasagna pan.
4. Assemble: Place one-third of the lasagna noodles ( about 5 ) in the bottom of the baking dish, overlapping edges of noodles. Cover with one-third of the meat sauce, then one-third of the cheese filling, and then one-third of the mozzarella cheese. Repeat twice. Bake for 30 minutes or until cheese is melted and lasagna is heated through. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.
NUTRITION STATS per 250 g
Calories 410; Fat 17 g; Sodium 890 mg; Carbs 25 g; Fibre 3 g; Protein 39 g
Captain Campbell’s Slow Cooker Cacciatore
Italian food - Canadian team captain style. This delicious one-dish chicken and veggie dinner needs only a side of pasta and buon appetito! Cassie Campbell knows a winning combination when she sees one.
- 2 cups ( 500 mL ) sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3 large carrots, coarsely chopped
- ½ cup (125 mL ) julienned red pepper
- ½ cup (125 mL ) julienned green pepper
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ cup ( 60 mL ) Italian salad dressing
- 5 or 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, halved
- 1 tsp ( 5 mL ) dried thyme leaves
- 1 can (19 fl oz / 540 mL ) reduced-sodium crushed or diced tomatoes, with juice
1. In a slow cooker, combine mushrooms, carrots, peppers, onion, and garlic.
2. In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, heat dressing. Working in batches, cook chicken for 3 to 4 minutes per side or until browned. Place on top of vegetables in slow cooker. Drizzle with drippings from pan.
3. Combine thyme with tomatoes. Pour over chicken. Cover slow cooker and cook on High for 5 hours or on Low for 6 to 8 hours or until chicken is cooked to an internal temperate of 165°F ( 74°C ) and the vegetables are fork-tender. Note: If sauce isn’t thick enough, remove lid and cook on High for an additional 15 to 20 minutes so that the liquid evaporates. Additionally, sauce can be thickened by stirring together 2 tbsp ( 30 mL ) cornstarch and ¼ cup ( 60 mL ) cold water and then adding mixture into sauce in slow cooker. Cook on High with lid off for 15 minutes more.
4. Serve over pasta, brown rice, or quinoa.
NUTRITION STATS per 1⁄6 recipe
Calories 220; Fat 7 g; Sodium 170 mg; Carbs 14 g; Fibre 3 g; Protein 25 g