Chicken Meatball Soup
Homemade meatballs and local vegetables simmered in broth make for a comforting and delicious soup.
- 1 Ontario Onion
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 Ontario Egg
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) fresh whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) chopped fresh Ontario Dill or Parsley
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) dried oregano leaves
- Salt and pepper
- 8 oz (250 g) ground Ontario Chicken
- 1 carton (900 mL) sodium-reduced chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup (250 mL) each diced Ontario Carrots and Parsnips
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped Ontario Cabbage
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) Israeli couscous (pearl) or small pasta
Garnish: Fresh Ontario Dill Sprig
Mince 1 tbsp (15 mL) of onion; place in medium bowl. Chop remaining onion and set aside. To medium bowl, add 1 clove of the garlic, egg, breadcrumbs, 2 tbsp (25 mL) of the dill, oregano and 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper; stir with fork to combine. Add chicken, combine until just blended. Shape into 20 meatballs, about 1 tbsp (15 mL) each. Place on plate and refrigerate.
In large covered pot, over high heat, bring broth, 2 cups (500 mL) of water and bay leaf to boil. Add carrots, parsnips, cabbage, remaining chopped onion and garlic. Cover and simmer 10 minutes, adjusting heat as necessary to maintain simmer.
Add meatballs and couscous. Cover and simmer 10 minutes or until meat is cooked through. Discard bay leaf. Stir in remaining dill and season with pepper to taste. Garnish with dill sprig.
Nutrients per serving
1 Serving (When recipe serves 6):
- PROTEIN: 14 grams
- FAT: 7 grams
- CARBOHYDRATE: 26 grams
- CALORIES: 226
- FIBRE: 3 grams
- SODIUM: 585 mg