"Chefs" Michael and Jillian Blackie's Jamaican Feast
ottawa.ctvnews.ca Published Tuesday, June 12, 2012 3:10PM EDT Last Updated Tuesday, June 12, 2012 4:05PM EDT
- 1 chicken Butterflied and pierced all over (this allows the marinade to really flavour the meat)
- 1 big bunch of thyme, chopped
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 1 medium size onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/3 cup allspice berries
- 1 good size knob of ginger, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup light soy sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 scotch bonnet, deseeded and chopped
Mix all the marinade ingredients in a bowl and then puree in a blender.
Place chicken in a large size ziploc bag and add all the marinade for 24 to 48 hours.
To cook, heat your BBQ. When hot, turn off one side and place chicken on grill skin side up. Cook for about 1/2 hour or so until juices run clear.
Make sure chicken is not over direct heat.
- 1/2 cup of buttermilk
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 Tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon grated onion
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 garlic clove peeled and smashed to release flavour
In a small bowl, with a wire whisk, mix all the ingredients except garlic, until well blended. Stir in the garlic. Cover and refrigerate up to 3 days.
Remove garlic before serving.
Cherry Blossom Cocktail
- 1 bunch of fresh cherries, stems and pitted
- 3 pink grapefruits, all skin and pith removed
Juice cherries and grapefruit in an electric juicer.
Add ice, a good shot of vodka and juice to cocktail shaker. Shake, strain ice and serve in sugar rimmed glassed.