Cedar Plank Smoked Trout with Charred Tomato Salsa
Cooking the cherry tomatoes in a grill basket allows you to have the flavour of barbecuing and control in cooking. The salsa accents the trout but also works with grilled chicken or nacho chips. The fish only needs a little oil and its flavour will shine through. Grilling is a tasty, healthy method for cooking fish.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Grilling Time: 30 minutes
- 1 cup (250 mL) Ontario Greenhouse Cherry Tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup (250 mL) Ontario Greenhouse Yellow Cherry Tomatoes, halved
- 1 Ontario Red Onion, quartered
- 1 each Ontario Greenhouse Sweet Red and Yellow Peppers, quartered
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) each olive oil and red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt and pepper
- 4 fresh Ontario Trout Fillets (about 6 oz/175 g each)
- 2 tsp (10 mL) olive oil
- Salt and pepper
Salsa: Place tomatoes, onion and peppers in grill basket. Grill covered over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are slightly charred, about 10 minutes. Remove basket from grill; let cool slightly. Coarsely chop onion and peppers and place in medium bowl. Add tomatoes, oil, vinegar, salt and pepper; toss to combine. Set aside.
Trout: Brush fillets with oil and season with salt and pepper to taste. Heat grill to high heat. Place soaked cedar plank on grill; close lid and heat 3 to 5 minutes or until plank starts to smoke. Add fillets to plank; close lid and grill until fish flakes easily when tested with fork, 12 to 15 minutes. Remove plank and let stand for a few minutes. To serve, spoon salsa over trout fillets.