Baked Meatball Casserole
Published Thursday, February 2, 2017 1:10PM EST Last Updated Thursday, February 2, 2017 1:33PM EST
Serve this flavourful and easy meatball casserole with a side of garlic bread or hot cooked pasta and a greenhouse salad.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Baking Time: 30 minutes
- 3 cloves Ontario Garlic, pressed
- 1 Ontario Egg
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) Ontario Milk
- 1/4 cup (50 mL)) dry breadcrumbs
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 mL) dried basil leaves
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt and pepper
- 1 lb (500 g) extra lean or lean Ontario Ground Beef
- 1 bottle (680 mL) strained tomatoes (passata)
- 1 Ontario Carrot, shredded
- 1 small Ontario Onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded Ontario Mozzarella Cheese
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) torn fresh Ontario Basil Leaves
- In large bowl, using fork, stir together 2 cloves of the garlic, egg, milk, breadcrumbs,
- 1 tsp (5 mL) of the dried basil and 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each of the salt and pepper. Add beef; combine just until blended. Shape into 12 meatballs. Arrange in single layer in 11- x
- 7-inch (2 L) baking dish. Bake in 425°F (220°C) oven for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, in large bowl, stir together tomatoes, carrot, onion and red pepper flakes. Add remaining garlic, dried basil, salt and pepper. Pour mixture over meatballs and sprinkle with cheese. Bake for 20 minutes or until meatballs are cooked through and cheese has melted. Top with fresh basil.
Tip: Get the kids in the kitchen to help with shaping the meatballs, shredding the cheese and tearing the basil leaves.
PROTEIN: 36 grams
FAT: 17 grams
CARBOHYDRATE: 19 grams
FIBRE: 2 grams
SODIUM: 710 mg