Ottawa News | Local Breaking | CTV News Ottawa
A perfect 'pear-ing' with Wendy Barrett
Published Friday, October 13, 2017 1:25PM EDT Last Updated Friday, October 13, 2017 1:38PM EDT
Guacamole with Pear and Pomegranate Seeds
Makes 8 servings
- 1/4 Cup white sweet onions, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp coarsely chopped cilantro
- 1 Teaspoon of jalapeño pepper, finely chopped, with seeds
- 1 Teaspoon coarse salt
- 2 -3 Ripe avocadoes
- 2 to 3 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3/4 Cup Red pear, finely diced
- 3/4 Cup seedless grapes, halved
- 3/4 Cup pomegranate seeds or dried cranberries
- Finely chop the onion, chili, and salt.
- Add the avocado, coarsely mashing it (you'll want it to be chunky). Stir in the lime juice. Fold in the pear, grapes, and 1/2 cup of the pomegranate seeds.
- Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds or dried cranberries over the guacamole and serve with tortilla chips.
Cheese and Pear Quesidillas
Makes 16 appetizers or 4 Main Dishes
- 4 Whole wheat flour 8” tortillas
- ½ Cup shredded Jack cheese
- ½ Cup sliced brie cheese
- 3 Tbsp sliced fresh basil leaves
- 2 Tbsp chopped sweet onion
- 1 USA pear, cored and thinly sliced
- 2 Tsp olive oil
- On half of each tortilla, sprinkle one-fourth of cheeses, basil, and onion and top with pear slices.
- Fold each in half; brush both sides with olive oil.
- Heat in nonstick skillet 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until cheese melts and tortilla browns. Cut each into four pieces.
Serve with salsa and or yogurt.
Arugula and Grilled Pear Salad
- 4 firm, almost-ripe pears (Bartlett or Bosc), peeled, cored, and cut lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons pecans
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon maple syrup
- 6 cups arugula or mixed salad greens
- 2 tablespoons dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- In a medium bowl, toss the pears, sugar, and butter. Arrange the pears in a grill pan or frying pan. Grill, turning once, until the pears are barely tender, 10—15 minutes.
- Dry roast the pecans in a skillet for 5 minutes, until toasty brown. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- In a large salad bowl, prepare the dressing by whisking together the oil, vinegar, garlic, salt, pepper, mustard, and maple syrup. Add the arugula or salad greens and toss to coat.
- Divide the salad onto four chilled plates. Arrange the roasted pears in a fan around the center, and sprinkle with the cranberries, Parmesan cheese, and pecans.
Honey Poached Pears with Mascarpone Cheese
- 2 firm but ripe large Bosc pears, peeled, halved, cored
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 6 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise or 2 tsp pure vanilla
- 1/2 cup mascarpone cheese*
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons brandy or dark rum
- fresh mint
- Toss pears with lemon juice in large bowl. Set aside. Combine 1 cup water, wine and honey in medium saucepan. Scrape in seeds from vanilla bean; add bean. Stir over medium heat until honey dissolves. Add pears. Cover mixture with round piece of parchment paper. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer until pears are just tender when pierced, turning when half-way through cooking, about 15 minutes.
- Using slotted spoon, transfer pears to large bowl. Boil poaching liquid until reduced to 3/4 cup, about 2 minutes. Cool syrup. Pour syrup over pears. Cover and refrigerate until cold, at least 8 hours or overnight. Remove vanilla bean.
- Whisk mascarpone cheese, sugar and brandy in large bowl until smooth. Add 1/4 cup chilled poaching syrup and whisk until soft peaks form.
- Thinly slice each pear half lengthwise, leaving slices attached at stem end. Using metal spatula, transfer pears to plates. Gently press on pears to fan slightly. Spoon some syrup over pears. Spoon mascarpone cream alongside each pear half and serve. Garnish with fresh mint.