Spicing up Ottawa's Street Food
Published Friday, February 15, 2013 3:33PM EST
From Texas to South Asia, Ottawa’s street food will provide a taste of the world starting in May.
The city has approved 11 new food trucks and 8 carts under a new street food program.
More than 60 applications were received for 20 news spots.
The new food vendors are in addition to the existing to 44 trucks and carts now licensed in Ottawa.
The following are the new street food vendors which will start cooking in May.
- Ottawa “Streat” Gourmet – Fresh, local and seasonal ever-changing menu – North side of Queen, west of O’Connor (Benjamin Baird)
- Urban Cowboy – Texan street food – East side of Bank, north of Glen (Layne Belcher and Mathew Hinds)
- Health conscious foodie friendly locally sourced cuisine – East side of Olmstead, south of Montreal Rd. (Peter G. Bowen)
- Ad Mare – Fish and seafood – South side of Slater, east of O’Connor (Mario Burke)
- TURN rotisserie + kitchen: Turn yourself on to Ottawa's best food truck! – North side of Argyle, east of O’Connor (Steven Dupras & Glen Galbraith)
- Ragin’ Cajun – West side of Bank, north of Clemow (Mathew Gregoire & York Entertainment)
- Stone Soup Foodworks – Creative blend of local soups, tacos and sandwiches – East side of Spadina, north of Wellington (Jacqueline Jolliffe)
- Dosa Inc. – South Indian crepes – South side of Somerset, west of Lyon (Jake Thomas)
- ChowDown – Asia snacks and meals – North side of Byron at Woodroffe (Jason Tran)
- Asian-Fusion with a twist – North side of Gloucester, east of Lyon (Kin Tran)
- LUNCH – Fresh and local ingredients in wholesome soups, salads and sandwiches – North side of Albert, east of Lyon (Tim Van Dyke)
- Olive Green – The South Asian food experience – location to be confirmed. (Wasi Choudhry)
- Royi Fruta Bar – Baked empanadas and fruit drinks – East side of Elgin, north of Laurier (Rodney Cummings)
- BOBITES: Best Organic Bites – Organic baked potatoes with seasonal toppings – East side of Metcalfe, south of Sparks (Gavin Hall)
- Gongfu Bao – Chinese steamed Asian buns –East side of Elgin, south of Slater (Tarek Hassan)
- Roan Kitchen – Authentic Korean cuisine – West side of Bank between Albert & Slater (Hana Jung)
- SPOON – frozen yogurt – East side of O’Connor, south of Sparks (Brian Nolan)
- Churritos – Churro (traditional Mexican treats) – West side of O’Connor, south of Sparks (Ulises Ortega)