Roasted Scallops with Cauliflower Apple Cider Reduction
Published Tuesday, November 15, 2011 12:26PM EST
Last Updated Saturday, May 19, 2012 6:35AM EDT
Roasted Scallops with Cauliflower
Apple Cider Reduction
- 2 U10 size Scallops
- 3 Tablespoons cauliflower puree (recipe follows)
- 1 teaspoon apple cider reduction (recipe follows)
- 1 Tablespoon cider butter sauce (recipe follows)
- 1 Tablespoon spice roasted cauliflower (recipe follows)
- 1 small handful fresh frisse lettuce (or micro greens)
- A few slices fresh apple
- ½ teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- Drizzle olive oil
Season the scallops with sea salt and fresh ground pepper. Sear the scallops in a hot pan and cook until the scallops are caramelized and barely cooked through. Slice the scallops in half so you have four half moon shapes. Place two tablespoons cauliflower puree one side of the plate, run a spatula through the cauliflower puree so it runs through the center of the plate. Place the scallops on top. Place one tablespoon of the spice roasted cauliflower on top of the scallops. Mix the frisse with the cider vinegar, olive oil and the sliced apples. Place the salad on top of the scallops. Drizzle the cider butter sauce and the cider reduction around the plate. Serve at once.
- 3 cups rough chopped cauliflower
- ¼ cup chopped white onion
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- ½ clove garlic
- ½ apple, peeled, cored and rough chopped
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- Milk to cover, approximately 3 cups
Heat a medium sized sauce pan, add the butter, onions, garlic and apple and sweat until the soft. Add the cauliflower and sauté for a further two minutes. Cover the cauliflower mixture with the milk, add the thyme and bring to a simmer. Cook until the cauliflower is soft, approximately 25 minutes. Strain the cauliflower and puree in a blender. Add a little of the milk if necessary to softer but the mixture should be fairly thick. Season the cauliflower puree with salt and fresh ground pepper. The remaining milk can be used for another recipe. Keep warm.
Spice Roasted Cauliflower
- ¼ cup very small cup cauliflower florets
- 1 Tablespoon chopped white onion
- 2 Tablespoons chopped apple
- 2 Tablespoon chicken stock
- Curry powder to taste
- Olive oil as needed
Heat a small fry pan with the olive oil. Add the vegetables and apple and sauté until they start to become soft. Season with the curry powder and continue cooking for one minute. Add the chicken stock and reduce until all the liquid is absorbed. Keep warm.
Apple Cider Reduction
- 2 cups apple cider
Reduce the cider by about 3/4rds. Reduce until the cider becomes thick like a syrup. Keep warm.
Apple Cider Butter Sauce
- ¼ cup apple cider
- ¼ cup white wine
- 3 Tablespoons chilled unsalted butter
Bring the cider and wine to a simmer in a small sauce pan. Reduce the liquid by about 2/3rds. Keep on a gentle heat and whisk in the butter. Season the sauce with a touch of salt and fresh pepper. Keep warm.