McGuinty announces security measures for elementary schools
Published Thursday, December 20, 2012 12:06PM EST
Last Updated Thursday, December 20, 2012 12:26PM EST
Premier Dalton McGuinty says he wants a "locked door" policy at all elementary schools in Ontario starting next September.
McGuinty says he wants to reassure parents Ontario is doing all it can to ensure kids are safe in their classrooms after last week's shooting rampage at an elementary school in Newtown, Connecticut.
Only about 850 of the 4,000 elementary schools in the province took advantage of a provincial program to install video cameras outside school doors, but that was meant for buildings where the entrance was not in clear view of the office.
McGuinty says it should cost about $10 million to equip all elementary schools by the start of classes next fall with video cameras to make entrances more secure.
However, he says schools will not be turned into fortresses with boarded-up windows. The premier says the tragedy in Newtown, which claimed the lives of 20 Grade One students and six adults, made him question whether Ontario was doing all it could to guarantee parents schools are safe for their children.
With a report from CTV Ottawa's Stefan Keyes
If you are on the scene of breaking news and capture it with your mobile device, share your pictures or video with MyNews.